Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb muffins

I have only had Rhubarb once in my life but lately i've been hearing sooo much about how delish it is. I remembered how much I loved the Rubarb strawberry pie I had and kept thinking about it. Rubarb is not something you typically see in our grocery stores but I kept an eye out. Sunday at Earth Fare there was a huge display as soon as you walked in the store, It was a sign!! So I grabbed a few stalkes and contemplated my recipes. I found several I wanted  to try one was for muffins!!!
STRAWBERRY - RHUBARB MUFFINS




1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour

1/2 c. sugar

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. salt

1 egg, lightly beaten

3/4 c. milk

1/3 c. vegetable oil

3/4 c. minced fresh rhubarb

1/2 c. sliced strawberries

6 sm. strawberries, cut in half

Sugar



Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, the baking powder and salt in large bowl. Combine egg, milk and oil in small bowl; stir into flour mixture with fork just until moistened. Fold rhubarb and sliced strawberries into batter. Fill well buttered muffin tins 2/3 full with batter. Press a strawberry half gently into top of each muffin. Sprinkle tops generously with sugar. Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes. Remove from tins; cool on wire racks.

   This recipe made a little over a dozen muffins. I felt it needed more fruit but I always think muffins never have enough fruit!
I hope you try out these muffins, They are soooo good!

No comments: